Hinge residues tend to be on the surface, since steric clashes would often prevent them from being in the core. We computed the solvent accessible surface area for the backbone atoms of all residues in the Hinge Atlas and binned the residues by this quantity. Bin #1 contains the 20% of all residues with the largest solvent accessible surface area, and bin #5 contains the 20% of residues with the smallest solvent accessible surface area. The first two bins (together representing the 40% of residues with highest surface area) are enriched with hinges in a highly significant manner. Conversely, the last two bins (lowest 40% ASA) are significantly low in hinges.