- Oral presentation
- Open Access
Comparative analysis of non-classically secreted proteins in Botrytis cinerea and symbiotic fungus Laccaria bicolor
© Jain et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd 2008
- Published: 30 October 2008
- Glycosyl Hydrolase
- Symbiotic Fungus
- Mycorrhizal Condition
- Heat Shock Protein Expression
Unconventional protein secretion, also known as non-classical protein export or endoplasmic reticulum (ER)/Golgi-independent protein secretion, from eukaryotic cells was discovered more than a decade ago, yet, the molecular mechanisms and machinery components that mediate this process remain unknown . Many of the current experimental methods of analysis fail to detect proteins accumulated in low amounts due to the presence of more abundant factors in the secretions. We are using bioinformatics to analyze the genomes of Botrytis cinerea BO5.10 and Laccaria bicolor, along with the genomes of 5 other ascomycetes and basidiomycetes, in order to predict non-classically secreted proteins (NCSP). Extracellular secreted proteins are classified as either conventional or non-conventional in their secretion mechanisms. Several lines of evidence indicate that various kinds of mechanistically distinct non-classical export routes may exist. The N-terminus of a NCSP although uncleaved exits the cell under a variety of alternate transport mechanisms .
The extracellular proteins of B. cinerea, L. bicolor and S. sclerotiorum were further tested using QPCR methods on RNA isolated from fungal organisms undergoing fungal/plant interactions verses normal conditions.
- Nickel W: The mystery of nonclassical protein secretion. A current view on cargo proteins and potential export routes. Eur J Biochem 2003, 270: 2109–2119. 10.1046/j.1432-1033.2003.03577.xView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Prudovsky I, Tarantini F, Landriscina M, Neivandt D, Soldi R, Kirov A, Small D, Kathir KM, Rajalingam D, Kumar TK: Secretion Without Golgi. J Cell Biochem 2008, 103: 1327–1343. 10.1002/jcb.21513PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Bonfim SM, Cruz AH, Jesuino RS, Ulhoa CJ, Molinari-Madlum EE, Soares CM, Pereira M: Chitinase from Paracoccidioides brasiliensis : molecular cloning, structural, phylogenetic, expression and activity analysis. FEMS Immunology & Medical Microbiology 2006, 46: 269–283. 10.1111/j.1574-695X.2005.00036.xView ArticleGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd.